The Yankees are in their 117th season. Think you are a fan of the team and know their history? With the clues provided, what year did this team play…
Play for the fun of it yourself, or send me an email (see below) with your answer, name, city, and state. I’ll publish all replies in a follow-up post along with answers to each clue. Here we go:
- Cuddles, Snuffy, and Red were nicknames of players on this team.
- This Yankees team saw 35 different players take an at-bat, but needed only thirteen pitchers to complete the season.
- Six players on this team went to the All-Star Game that was played at Sportsman Park in St. Louis.
- Three Yankees on this team went to the Hall of Fame. Their total salaries for the year? – $104,000.
- This Yankees team had one of the first closers in the game. He finished with sixteen save that year. His last name might cause you to itch.
- The team’s top pitcher this year won 19 games, had six shutouts, and 18 complete games.
- This is a post World War II team.
- This Yankees team was no-hit by Brooklyn Dodgers pitcher, Rex Barney.
- Team games were broadcast by WINS-AM radio. The announcers were Mel Allen and Russ Hodges.
- One player led the team in all offense categories.
- Yankees minor league teams this year included the Newark Bears, Kansas City Blues, and the Binghamton Triplets.
- The Yankees finished 2.5 games off the pace this year. The top two teams needed a one-game playoff to determine the pennant winner.
- The Bombers hit 139 home runs this year, good enough for second in the American League.
- In 2019, the Yankees registered only one complete game from its pitching staff (Masahiro Tanaka). This team had a total of 62.
Email your replies to email@example.com. Feel free to add comments about your experiences as a fan of the Yankees over the years.
Yankees News, Notes, And Rumors
To finish up, here are a few notes on recent developments with the Yankees as they begin Spring Training later this week.
- The Yankees are trying everything, including taking balls at first base and the outfield to get Miguel Andujar at-bats this season.
- Greg Bird has signed a minor league contract with the Texas Rangers and has an excellent chance to make the team if…
- Jordan Montgomery says he isn’t worried about his role as a starter or reliever with the team this year, but you have to wonder…
- Not surprisingly, Aaron Boone revealed his most significant concern in entering the 2020 season – and it’s the health of his players and their ability to stay on the field.
- Too little too late, but it’s nice to see AJ Hinch owning up to the real possibility his team may have undermined the Yankees 28th World Championship.
- According to the MLB Network’s Jon Heyman, injured Yankees lefty starting pitcher James Paxton could be back sooner than the initial three- to four-month timetable the team offered.
- At 79, Joe Torre is taking on a lighter role with MLB, stepping away from the travel-intense and pressure-laden job he had in policing players and umpires.